Tell us about yourself and your books.:
My name is Ryan Janz and I live in Anytown, USA, and I have chosen not to include my photo on my social media pages at this time in the abject fear I will be recognized and therefore mobbed by crazed fans. For example, say I post my picture, and let’s also say I’m walking my dog down my friendly neighborhood street, you know, Main Street, and as a result the unthinkable occurs:
1. I am breathlessly asked by a passing neighbor to autograph my thrilling new Noir/Private Investigator novel, Boulevard Dreams, or I’m pretty sure that’s what he said.
2. My neighbor doesn’t have the book with him, or as he put it, “I’ve never heard of your stupid piece of trash and you frighten me”.
3. I give him a copy I happen to be carrying in my wheelbarrow.
4. My neighbor is hesitant in believing I wrote the book.
5. I produce my driver’s license for proof of my authorship, careful to place my thumb over my picture because I do not wish to be recognized and therefore mobbed by crazed fans.
6. My neighbor threatens to call the police.
7. My dog insists we hastily return home, and as we do, I lower my baseball cap across my face because I do not wish to be recognized and…etc.
8. I hear police sirens and as I hide below the trap door in my basement my dog decides to move out.
9. While living under my basement and perusing a handy book containing chock full of fun survival techniques, it occurs to me I don’t own a dog.
10. Having read how baked rat can easily be transformed into a healthy snack while overthrowing the government, I hear a dog howling in the distance, reminding me it’s time once again to collect my wheelbarrow and join my best friend for a pleasant walk down Main Street, USA.
Do you have any unusual writing habits?
I'm usually asleep.
What authors have influenced you?
Mark Twain, Christopher Isherwood, F Scott Fitzgerald, Hillary Clinton.
Do you have any advice for new authors?
What is the best advice you have ever heard?
Don't listen to advice.
What are you reading now?
My grocery list. I have to remember to add hot dogs.
What’s your biggest weakness?
The inability to express myself through written communication.
What is your favorite book of all time?
5-way tie: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Last of Mr. Norris, Treasure Island, The Great Gatsby, and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
What has inspired you and your writing style?
My fervent desire to avoid watching television or emulate anything on it.
What are you working on now?
Editing my novel about a screenwriter set in the Hollywood during the '70's. Should be out by the fall. (Notice I didn't say what year – I'm profoundly clever that way)
What is your method for promoting your work?
Wonderful websites like this one.
What’s next for you as a writer?
Taking a nap.
How well do you work under pressure?
I laugh at pressure. Ha-ha!
How do you decide what tone to use with a particular piece of writing?
The piece of writing determines the tone for me.
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.